It has undoubtedly been a busy year, and I’m sure I’m not alone when I say I am looking forward to starting fresh in the New Year after a relaxing break.
January is historically the month when most job hunters start looking for a new role and are ready to compete with all the other job hunters. Why not get a step ahead, and start looking now, ahead of the recruitment rush?
There’s a common perception that hiring slows down before the holiday shutdown, and therefore not many roles to choose from. However, there are also some excellent companies out there who are ready to find that new recruit to start with them in the new year, they have a remaining recruitment budget to spend before the end of the year, and projects are starting in January that will require extra resources.
When you think about it, December is the ideal time to look for that fresh start. Here’s why:
- In November/ December, hiring managers have reduced workloads and want to get new hires in place, so job offers are fast, serious and competitive as the candidate market is sparse.
- Historically, January is the month when many jobs are listed, and many candidates become open in the market, resulting in a highly competitive job marketplace. There is potentially less talent to compete in the final month of the year.
- Companies are ready and willing to hire before the year ends. This means interviews are scheduled as soon as possible, considerations are made quicker, and the entire recruitment process can be zip lined through to the hiring stage.
- When January rolls around, companies can become so busy the decision-makers and influencers of the business can still be on holiday. Therefore, there’s less time for scheduling interviews. The recruitment process can be significantly slower.
- Our consultants may be inundated with candidates and clients, resulting in potentially slower communication with you. Time is of the essence.
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to start a new job/career, so now is an excellent time to get a head start on the process to ensure you have your pick of roles. It’s also a fantastic opportunity and time to consider a career change, career progression, and potentially increasing your remuneration.
Our tips for finding a new role or for companies looking for talent:
- Start the process now!
- Make time for the interviews, be flexible, ensure the candidate or company is the right fit, ask questions and take the time to answer with as much information as possible; this will help in decision-making.
- Be decisive before the opportunity slips between your fingers and the year comes to an end